TRU LOVE (2013) - Lesbian Interest Movie

Tru and Alice

Tru Love (2013) (IMDb 6.3) is a lesbian interest movie from Canada featuring the love story between Tru and Alice. The storyline concerns recently widowed Alice who makes a last minute visit to the city to spend time with her daughter Suzanne. Suzanne, a hard working lawyer who already has a difficult relationship with her mother enlists her friend Tru who is between jobs to babysit her mother while she works long hours on a case.

Alice: My daughter is very secretive.
Suzanne: My mother is very intrusive.

Tru and Alice have an immediate connection despite the obvious age gap, Tru is 37 and Alice is 60. Thrughout the movie they have a lot of frank conversations but all tinged with humor and a glint in their eyes. Alice asks early on "do you prefer younger or older women" not surprisingly Tru comes back with "both".

Tru Love (2013) Tru and Alice have dinner together

Alice: Can I ask you a direct question?
Tru: Fire away.
Alice: I don't want to be intrusive.
Tru: I don't mind.
Alice: Have you always known that you were ...
Tru: A lesbian?
Alice: Yes.
Tru: Well no. I tried dating guys when I was younger. Wasn't my thing.
Alice: Don't you miss ... don't you miss men? You know ... sex I mean.
Tru: That's a deeply penetrating question.
Tru: No. Sex with women is hot.
Alice: Is it?
Tru: My turn.
Tru: Why did you get married Alice?
Alice: Oh well. You know it was a different time and uh I needed to escape my circumstances.
Alice: I mean it was either that or join a nunnery. You couldn't be a lesbian.
Tru: You could if you joined a nunnery.
Alice: You enjoy life don't you?
Tru: I have my moments.
Alice: Heart break?
Tru: More than once.
Tru: I'm very good at starting relationships. It's uh the middle and end parts I tend to ___ up.
Tru: ... it seems I have poor boundaries and I'm not equipped for healthy relationships.
Tru: At least that's what my fabulously hot therapist tells me.
Tru: [making a toast] To lesbian love. A blood sport.
Alice: Have you slept with a lot of lesbians?
Tru: Well most of the women that I have slept with are in fact card carrying lesbians. But not all. Confused women like to sleep with me too.

As the days wear on the closeness that develops between Tru and Alice begins to bother Suzanne who once had a thing with Tru and is not sure where she stands with her or wants to stand with her. The jealousy culminates in Suzanne lying to try to separate Alice and Tru however she underestimates the degree of their connection.

Tru Love (2013) Tru and Alice in love

Alice: Why didn't you come?
Tru: I did come. Suzanne told me you were sick.
Alice: I wasn't sick.
Tru: Did you get my note?
Alice: Why would she do that? I mean lie? To me? and to you?
Tru: Alice
Alice: What?
Tru: I thought that we had worked it out but I guess she is still upset with me.
Alice: Upset? Upset about what?
Tru: I think it would be better if she told you.
Alice: Told me what?
Alice: You know I'm so damn tired of being kept in the dark. It's highly overrated.
Tru: It's complicated.
Suzanne: Yeah well. Why don't you just uncomplicate it?
Tru: Remember when I told you that confused women like to sleep with me too.
Tru: One time. One time when I stayed over at her place
Alice: We both had too much to drink and ...
Alice: You and Suzanne?
Tru: We woke up in bed together and ... that was awkward. She couldn't talk about it and
Tru: That was the last time I stayed with her.
Alice: How long ago?
Tru: June
Alice: So shortly after Richard died.
Tru: We bumped into each other a while ago. She said she missed me and wanted to reconnect. She seemed really happy about that.
Tru: We've had coffee and talked but not about that ... I thought we were OK but ...
Tru: I'm sorry.
Alice: I don't know what to say.
Tru: We can still be friends though can't we Alice?
Alice: Friends. Yes of course ... Friends that's what we are.
Alice: I'm sorry I doubted you. I thought you were tired of me.
Tru: I could never tire of you.
Alice: Really?
Tru: Really.

Eventually Suzanne is forced to accept the relationship between Alice and Tru and make her peace with Tru.

Suzanne: I like you Tru. I do.
Tru: But
Suzanne: But, um ...
Suzanne: I'm just not sure that I am gay. I don't know what I am.
Suzanne: I think that's why I freaked out on you. I was feeling um a bit threatened and uh confused I guess.
Tru: It's OK to be confused.
Suzanne: I think my mother might be a bit confused.
Suzanne: Thank you for making her a cake.
Tru: No problem.
Suzanne: Are you going to stay for her last dinner?
Tru: I'd love to.
Suzanne: Good.

Tru Love (2013) Tru, Alice and Suzanne have dinner together

Tru Love (2013) delivers a compelling story of love and connection between an older and younger woman which is very unusual in itself. The triangle between the three women as they work through past hurts also adds weight to the film. There are some excellent lines for the characters to work with particularly those interactions between Tru and Alice which helps to make them endearing along with their solid performances.

Tru Love (2013) is an enjoyable movie to watch but it disappoints by not providing a happy ending to this unconventional love affair. Tru is changed enough by the experience to commit to on-again-off-again girlfriend Claire who makes a few brief appearances throughout the movie. It is not a convincing end or a desirable one and it is hard to know why so much of the film was spent laying the foundations with Alice and dismantling them with Claire to then do a 360 degree turn with the ending.


Read more about Tru Love (2013) at IMDb

Shauna MacDonald as Tru

Kate Trotter as Alice

Christine Horne as Suzanne (Alice's daughter)

Country of Origin: Canada

Genre: Drama

Language: English

Subtitles: None

Runtime: 2 minute trailer

Initial Release: 2013

Director: Kate Johnston, Shauna MacDonald

Writers: Kate Johnston, Shauna MacDonald

Where to Watch: Tubi


Other Links
Tru Love (2013) Film on Wikipedia
Other Lesbian Interest Movies


    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Lesbians Watch - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by ThemeXpose